My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Go-To Inspiration

There are a handful of topics that I can always refer to whenever I am in need of some inspiration. Paris (especially black and white pictures), Coco Chanel, flowers, and shoes (especially Louboutins) are my top picks. Sometimes I really want to sketch but I have no idea what to sketch and I end up staring blankly at my paper. I have drawn a collection based on black and white pictures of Paris from a calendar I had gotten as a present. I've done a collection based on different flowers, varying from white carnations to yellow tulips. Sometimes my sketches won't be directly inspired by one single thing, for example, when I'm just sketching I'll think "Chanel would probably add a bow or a strand of pearls to this outfit I've designed" and then I'll put that in my drawing because it just works and clicks with what I've created on paper. Other times I have collections and ensembles directly based off of one item. When I used a few pairs of Christian Louboutins for inspiration for a collection I simply put a pair on each left page and then did a sketch on the right solely based on if the model was wearing those particular heels, yet altogether the different outfits could work together as a collection.
Here is an example:
Image from http://store.christianlouboutin.tv
I would take these heels and then make an outfit I could envision a girl wearing to pair with the shoes.

I drew the heels first and then designed a dress. It has a pink rouched corset attached to the black fabric of the dress and connects with a big pink bow on the shoulder.

I always have a pile of cutouts from magazines and pictures I have printed from websites to fill my sketch book for inspiration if I need them. However, these are just my go-to inspiration sources for if I get stuck. I find inspiration in many places, from books and movies to Old Hollywood starlets and jewelry. Inspiration is everywhere, all around you, you just have to have an open mind, keep your eyes wide open and be willing to get creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment