My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Interview With a Fellow Design Student #1 Featuring Gabrielle LaBerge

Gabrielle LaBerge is from Illinois, attends Purdue University for Apparel Design and Technology and will also be a sophomore with me next year. I first met her right before classes started, at a sort of optional get together for everyone in each college, and then divided into each specific major. There were only about 6 of us there when I was there, but it was a great way to meet people for the first time.

I am so glad Gabi agreed to the interview, she is very talented and has a great eye. Also, we were pretty much in almost every class together, but that happens when your major is small and the number of people in your grade is under 30. But, before I ramble on and on, here is my interview with Miss Gabrielle LaBerge.

What are you studying/majoring in? And why? 
I am majoring in Apparel Design and Technology at Purdue University. I chose this major because I have always loved art and fashion. I absolutely love to be creative and being an apparel design major definitely allows me to be that!
Why did you choose Purdue? And what made you want to decide on Apparel Design? 
I chose Purdue because of its Apparel Design program.  Out of all the schools in the Midwest (which is where I am from), I liked its program the best.  Coming into school, I was really skeptical on Apparel Design.  I have a ton of other interests including Psychology, Social Work, and Zoology.  I finally decided on Apparel Design because being creative and artistic have always defined me the most. 
Please describe what you made for the spring fashion show and how you felt seeing all your hard work going down the runway. Also, if you want, any funny stories about making your garment or any struggles. 
Gabi is on the left with her model (her sister)
wearing her design for the show.
For the Spring Fashion Show, I made a black fitted dress with a cutout on the chest with a chiffon butterfly print skirt over it.  It was quite simple but since it was technically the first real garment I have ever created, I made it way more complicated that it should have been.  I was just extremely happy to finally be done with it! After seeing it on the runway, I felt really proud though and saw that my hard work did pay off.  It made me really excited for next year’s show already!




What was your favorite class this past year/hardest and why?
My favorite class was called Introduction to the Apparel Industry.  In that class, we learned about some fashion history, designers, trends, fads, and also touched on production and marketing.  It was kind of just an overview of everything and was cool to learn.
What would you say is your dream job?
My dream job is to be a very successful fashion designer and have stores all over the world!
Who are your favorite designers?
My favorite designers are Oscar de la Renta, Yves St. Laurent, Stella McCartney, and Ralph Lauren.
Do you have a favorite quote? If so, please share.
I have way too many favorite quotes but here’s one that I love: “Believe in yourself so strongly that the world can’t help but to believe in you too.”
How would you describe your personal style?
I really don’t even know how to describe my style.  It kind of changes day-to-day depending on my mood! I’m not afraid to where crazy stuff, but I also love those days where I wear running shorts and an old sweatshirt.  If I had the budget, I know my style would be very classy, a little preppy, and a little old-fashioned because I love the tailored, classy, vintage look. 
What are your favorite stores?
My favorite stores are Victoria’s Secret, Forever 21, Neiman Marcus, and Goodwill! Recently, I've been addicted to finding clothes at Goodwill and changing them up.
What’s your must-have accessory?
Earrings!
What is your go-to outfit?
 Shorts and a crewneck sweatshirt
How are you spending your summer before sophomore year?
Currently, I have been looking for a job—but no luck yet.  So to keep busy, I have been drawing a lot, training for my first half marathon!, sewing a bit, and reading.



"I made these shorts yesterday from a pair of old jeans that didn't fit! I am also obsessed with American flag print right now." -Gabrielle LaBerge



No comments:

Post a Comment