My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Friday, June 7, 2013

I Know it's Almost Summer but Here are the Pantone Colors for Spring 2013

Last fall in my Intro to the Apparel Industry we were given an assignment that I thought was a lot of fun. First we were introduced to the Pantone website and how they collaborate with a handful of designers to portray the selected "It" colors of the season through the designers' sketches. We were then given a figure already drawn (but no clothes on it) and given the task to pick a designer and color selection and create our own ensemble and explain our inspiration and why we picked the designer and colors. My outfit turned out to be a pink pencil skirt and peplum top, wool and plaid, with a solid pink satin (possibly) down the right side of the garments. My designer had used all over one color so I chose to as well, using the one shade of pink for the whole sketch. i drew inspiration from Katharine Hepburn for the more masculine, clean cut and tailored lines, but leaned towards Audrey Hepburn with the pink and then the shoes to make it more feminine and pull it all together. I loved the assignment and I think it allowed everyone in the class to see what each person's styling and sketching was like and how we all think about colors and garments.

According to Pantone, Spring of 2013's colors are: Dusk Blue, Tender Shoots (a shade of green), Lemon Zest, Linen (a soft pink), Poppy Red, Nectarine, Monaco Blue (a darker blue), African Violet, Grayed Jade (sort of a soft, faded turquoise almost), and Emerald.

I for one am glad to see that I have some of these (or similar shades) colors in my wardrobe, yet it's almost summer and i think I will be transitioning these colors for the Summer and early Fall seasons.

Here are the Fall 2013's colors: Emerald (a repeat from Spring), Mykonos Blue (similar to Monaco but maybe a tad darker), Linden Green, Acai (a deep but vibrant purple), Samba (a shade of red, so holding on to your poppy items will work), Koi (a darker orange than nectarine), Deep Lichen green, Vivacious (a dark pink), Turbulence (a grey), and Carafe (reminds me of coffee).

For Fall I will most likely be searching for something Acai; out of all the colors it was my favorite. If I find something I will definitely be posting about it, it'd be a huge success for me since I never really search for this specific of a color.

For more information on the colors, the designers they pick, or just to browse and learn more about Pantone, visit their site at www.pantone.com

No comments:

Post a Comment