My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Staying Up to Date

One of the many things I learned my first year at Purdue in Apparel Design was to try and stay on top of the news, especially the news involving the fashion world. I have been trying my best to do this. I check various news sources in the morning, I'm subscribed to receive daily/weekly/monthly newsletters from places such as Style.com, Vogue, and Rachel Zoe, and I also have certain tags for checking Google News such as Fashion, Fashion Design, Vogue, etc. On top of this I discovered I really like reading the online Vogue UK news, it's very interesting and well put together. They have interviews, updates, people, great pictures and more! I still enjoy Vogue US but UK is neat because it's just a little different vibe and I enjoy the site.

How does everyone stay in tune with the fashion world? I'm thinking of just going ahead and getting a Vogue subscription for the year. I should also start catching up on WWD because when I had to read it for class Fall semester I enjoyed some of their articles, it'd be interesting to see if multiple places write about certain topics and comparing what they have to say about those topics. I hoard my magazines though, so I like the online options. However, I do love thumbing through my glossy magazines and looking at all of the pictures and then ripping some out to paste in my sketch books on my inspiration pages. It's not the same when you print out pictures, at least it isn't to me. 

I'll leave you with a quote about staying in tune to everything going on around you:
"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening" from Coco Chanel (Fashion Quotes).


Works Cited:
"Fashion Quotes." Brainy Quotes. N.p.. Web. 14 Jun 2013. <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/fashion.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment