My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Color Scheming: Finding My Color Palette

I’m not quite sure when the seniors know what they’re going to do for their final collection, but as for me, I know my color scheme. Red, Black, and White with a dash of grey if needed. It’ll have a variety of fabrics such as silk, satin, wool, velvet, etc. I’ll keep the prints to a minimum, though I will have to include houndstooth because if I don’t the collection wouldn't really be representing myself. 

Wool shorts, loose blouse, tight vest, red tights, and boots.
 I’ll have evening gowns, short flirty dresses, pants, shorts, vests, and great tops. I've always liked the power that red demands, it’s just like “Here I am, pay attention to me, notice me” and then black is serious and somber but commands authority, while white is pure and fresh and clean. I like the idea of having a mainly white and black collection with red thrown in, either as a pop of color to one ensemble, or a bright red evening gown towards the end. I do have a few sketches already that I know I want to make, especially the gowns, but I am not quite sure how senior collections work.


Stretchy pants, and a fitted black top
with cutouts.
Loose black gown with red
attached at the lower back.

Can I use past sketches and ideas? I have no idea, but the sketches using this color scheme are inspired by a few different things. The ensembles are inspired by black and white pictures of Paris, France. The long red gown, a beauty ad, and the black and red evening gown is inspired by Dracula. I want to make the gowns just so I can wear them, so hopefully if I do make them for school I will be able to find a model who is similar in size. 

Black is rouched and the red is
attached and wraps around the body,
very fitted.
The darker red on top is a bodice under the
lighter red, but the other two darker red
sections are rouched parts wrapping
around her body.
All I do know is that I love these colors together and I want to express these feeling I have for others to hopefully experience. I  don't want to use these colors every single year (I did use them this past school year already). For instance, I plan on using a bright magenta or vibrant yellow for my sophomore pieces for the fashion show. I've been really inspired by flowers lately and these colors would look absolutely stunning in the form of the dresses I am envisioning, and when paired with my one model's tan skin, the colors will pop and look wonderful on the runway. Hopefully everything works out well and i can find the right fabric. But back on topic, I have found my ideal color palette that I love working with- red, black, and white. These sketches are a little old, but they are among my favorites that I have ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment