My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Making a Ruff

Problem Solving.
Yesterday at the costume shop we mostly spent the time unpacking what is up on the tables in front. I had to label pieces and then put them in their respective places (which are now all organized). I'm sure today will be much of the same.

Last night however, I worked on making a ruff for a character in The Fantasticks, which my boss is the costume designer for the show. I didn't succeed though, I knew how to do it thanks to a few handy web tutorials and my knowledge of knowing how to cartridge pleat, but the fabric isn't right. So today I'm taking in my example, a mock up of what it'll look like if I don't change fabrics, and hopefully we can solve this problem. It's just very droopy and doesn't look like the ruff we were going for in design. I'm sure I will be spending my evening making this ruff since she needs it for tomorrow evening, but no big deal, this is all just part of my internship. Besides I think hand sewing is relaxing. I'll post more after I complete the ruff and include a step by step tutorial on my way of doing it (similar to others' but a little different). Then if you ever need to make a Shakespearean looking ruff you can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment