My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Library Visits & Missing London

Since I'm only working at the costume shop in the mornings Monday thru Thursday I have a lot of free time on my hands. This week I've been a little lazy and really only been running errands and watching a lot of Friends on Netflix. I went to the library early this week and got a handful of books, one of which makes me really miss London. This V&A book titled "400 Years of Fashion," is pretty great and filled with a lot of useful information and a variety of looks for the different periods. I've included the front and back covers because they show some of the great looks included inside the book.

1905 travelling gown
While reading this book I've just really missed being in London. In London I could go to any museum or art gallery whenever I had free time and I could see amazing exhibits. Here in Illinois I don't have that access to the fashion and art world that I did in London. I'm about an hour and a half away from Chicago, so I can go to a decently big city and see exhibits and fashion, but it's just not the same as walking to a museum about 20mins away from my apartment. But still, books like this are amazing to read, not only for their information but because they can help ease the fact you can't just up and go anywhere you want any time you want. I'm not all the way through the book yet, I've been taking some notes and really looking at the pieces included. In the costume shop we've been organizing all of the costumes and I really wanted to make sure we get the years right for when we go through the 1900s. I'm more focused on the past 100 years because their stock of costumes is mostly 20th century looks and most of their performances can use pieces from those decades for their shows. I'm just really excited to help create the inventory of all of the pieces and to see what all we have in the shop. And so far this book is a great resource and I definitely recommend it to those interested in the changes in fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment