My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Exhibits From Around the World

Right now there are 3 exhibits that I would love to attend. The first, and most practical, is at the Indianapolis Museum of Art and is called Cutting Edge Fashion: Recent Acquisitions. The exhibition "seeks to explore how various designers were considered avant garde in their own ways, drawing from new acquisitions it has painstakingly made since 2006" (Indiana Museum...). I'm hoping to go to this over the summer, it's not too far away and I think it'll be really amazing to see the different avant garde pieces they've acquired over the years. One of the pieces (pictured in this post) is an evening dress from the 1920s by Callot Soeurs. It's a stunning dress made of silk velvet, metallic threads, and faux pearls. 
(From website, see Bibliography,
photo Courtesy Indiana Museum of Art)

The second museum exhibit I'd love to see happens to be in London at the Victoria and Albert museum titled Shoes: Pleasure and Pain. The exhibit contains around 200 pairs of both women's and men's shoes from around the world. It aims to explore "the complex relationship that people have with shoes, including the cultural significance and transformative capacity of footwear" (V&A...). I really wish I was still in London so I could go see this exhibit. I loved the Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty exhibit and I know there are a few more amazing exhibits going on this summer that would be wonderful to attend. 

Lastly, the third exhibit I'd be thrilled to see is in Madrid. The exhibit, Vogue Like a Painting, opens later this month and illustrates the artistic connection between the photographs in Vogue and the original artworks. Kolesnikov-Jessop writes that "Botticelli, Vermeer, Van Eyck, Degas, Hogarth, and Rossetti are just some of the painters whose works have inspired fashion photography in the pages of Vogue magazine" (Vogue like a Painting...). If only I could just up and go to any museum exhibit I want, I definitely would go around the world nonstop just visiting museums and art galleries. Maybe someday my career will involve lots of travelling and I'll get some free time while working and I can visit the sites.

Bibliography
Kolesnikov-Jessop, S. (2015, June 3). "Vogue like a Painting" Coming Up at the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza. Retrieved from http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/1171691/vogue-like-a-painting-coming-up-at-the-museo-thyssen
Tay, M. (2015, May 11). Indiana Museum of Art Shows off New Acquisitions in Avant Garde Fashion Exhibition. Retrieved from http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/1152499/indiana-museum-of-art-shows-off-new-acquisitions-in-avant  
Tay, M. (2015, June 8). V&A Explores Pleasure and Pain of Beautiful Footwear. Retrieved from http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/1147857/va-explores-pleasure-and-pain-of-beautiful-footwear

No comments:

Post a Comment