My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tassels On My Shoes

I wrote this July 15th, 2013:

For a very long time I have been wanting a pair of shoes with tassels. I've wanted a pair for so long in fact it had almost became sort of an urban legend for me: Do the perfect pair of tasseled shoes actually exist?

This past weekend I went shoe shopping with my boyfriend to try and find him a nice pair of brown dress shoes that didn't lace up and didn't look too dressy so that he could wear them with khakis. We found a great pair of brown loafers with tassels for him, except they didn't have his size and they couldn't order him a pair in his size. They were perfect for him, but he had to walk away and he will hopefully find an even better pair (if possible) another time. The man helping him told us to try JCPenny's, so we did. JCPenny's men's shoe selection wasn't as great and he was unable to find a worthy contender for the brown loafers with tassels. While he was browsing the men's I decided to look at the women's, and I'm glad I did because I found a pair of shoes with tassels. Before we had even left the house I told my boyfriend that the only pair of shoes I was allowed to buy was black flats because I don't have any black flats. The shoes I found are like smoking slippers, have a feeling like suede with a black patent trim along the back heel, and they have tassels. I usually wear an 8 so I asked the man for a pair that size, but they were way too big. I asked for a pair of 7 & 1/2s but they were also a little too big, finally I just tried on the display shoe, which was a size 7. In a dream world they should have fit perfectly, the moment should have rivaled Cinderella's perfect shoe fit moment, but it didn't. They were a little too snug for my taste. They fit, but I've been wearing sandals and stretched out flats for so long they just felt weird. But the 7 & 1/2s were too big, when I walked around the shoes sort of slipped off my feet a little bit (not as badly as the 8s did though). My boyfriend, staying true to his word of promising not to let me buy anything but black flats, brought up the fact that they were in fact black and flat.

My Black Flats With Tassels.

In my head all I could of was Are they Real? Did I just find shoes with tassels? Did I just find black flats that I actually like that aren't dull and boring? It was clear I had to buy them, everything just worked. While they aren't quite the shoes to wear with shorts (though I don't really like wearing flats with shorts or skirts) they will be perfect as soon as it turns to fall and it becomes jeans weather. Skinny jeans, black tee, my red blazer and my new black tasseled flats will be one outfit I wear a lot this coming fall and winter. After chuckling over how he had to actually convince me to buy a pair of shoes, my boyfriend told me not to wear them to death like I usually do to my shoes, especially when I really really like them. Hopefully they last a long time and I won't have to set out on a shoe adventure and find more flats with tassels, because it's a challenge to find an ideal pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment