My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Interview With a Fellow Design Student #3 Featuring Emily Miles

I met Emily Miles over Facebook before we started going to Purdue. We somehow found each other and seemed to be the only apparel design majors using the Facebook group for incoming Purdue freshmen. We chatted a lot and decided to meet at Purdue when we realized we would both be going there for our STAR dates (schedule, take placement tests, etc.). We had dinner with our family members that took us (her parents and my grandma) at the dinner in the union. It was great because when fall classes started we already had at least one friend going into the major. Emily is really nice, funny, and a very talented sewer.
Here is her interview:
"This is a picture from my junior year 
of high school. For spring break, a group 
of girls that I sew with went to New York City
over spring break, and we went

 fabric shopping at Mood's!"
-Emily
What are you studying/majoring in? And why? I am majoring in Apparel Design and Technology with a minor in Art and Design Studio. I am also going to try to get a double major with Retail Merchandising. I picked this plan of study because I love everything that has to do with fashion, and want to have many different career options.

Why did you choose Purdue? And what made you want to decide on Apparel Design? I chose Purdue because of the large campus. I also still get that small campus feeling, because I always see several friends on my way to and from class every day. I chose the major of Apparel Design because I absolutely love sewing, and because it just makes me happy.

Emily (L) and her model Alyssa (R) at the
Purdue Fashion Show.
Please describe what you made for the spring fashion show and how you felt seeing all your hard work going down the runway. Also, if you want, any funny stories about making your garment or any struggles. For the spring fashion show, I made a maxi dress out of a purple stretch suiting material. I also made a blazer with a peplum out of a small black and white hound’s-tooth material. I felt amazing with my work going down the runway. It really makes me excited for fashion shows to come! I also loved that my roommate and long-time friend was able to be my model. I had a rough time making the jacket because my model’s back is 2 inches shorter than most people with her proportions, so I had to do a lot of alterations. I knew that I could have taken on a bigger challenge, but overall, I was satisfied with what I made for my first year.

What was your favorite class this past year/hardest and whyMy favorite class so far this year was Introduction to Apparel Industry. I loved learning about different fashion designers from the past, and also seeing how fashion has progressed through the years. My hardest class from this past year was definitely Art History. I am a hands on, active learner, so I struggled a lot with memorizing tens of names, dates, places, and art pieces.

What would you say is your dream job? My dream job would either be working in corporate retail, or working under a large-name designer. At this point, I am very flexible with possible careers, as long as I am still able to sew rather it is for work, or for fun!
 
Emily in her senior prom dress
that she made.
Who are your favorite designers? This is such a tough question! I have so many designers that I like. I love Chanel because of the timeless styles. I also love Kate Spade.

Do you have a favorite quote? If so, please share. Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. –Ralph Waldo Emerson

How would you describe your personal style? I love Korean fashion, which is reflected a lot in my wardrobe. I have a lot of lace and pale colors. I love vintage style clothing as well. One of my favorite accessories is necklaces. I really like quirky, unique jewelry.

What are your favorite stores? My favorite stores are Forever 21, Francesca’s, and any shoe stores! I also love looking for small boutiques on family vacations as well.
"These are my amazing sewing teachers Ann and Sue.
I started taking classes with them when I was in 7th grade,
and they were the reason that I chose to study fashion design."

-Emily

What’s your must-have accessory? My must have accessory is my Tiffany’s charm bracelet. I also can’t be without my statement necklaces!

What is your go-to outfit? My go-to outfit is dark wash skinny jeans, a simple style shirt, flats, and colorful jewelry.

How are you spending your summer before sophomore year? This summer, I am working at the Applebee’s restaurant in town. I worked there for two years before college. I am a server, and also work at the carry-out door. In my free time, I have been going on walks with friends, and attempting to start to learn Korean. (Which, by the way, is going really well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment