My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Artists: Abstract, Absurd, Acceptable, and Admirable

I have this composition book and I've decided to make it sort of a reference book. I had previously written lists of icons (according to a book) from different decades. In one of my more recent trips to the library I checked out a book titled 50 Artists You Should Know by Thomas Köster and have decided to take notes on each artist in the book in my reference composition book. I have come to realize that this is a tedious task, I have spent a couple hours so far and am only on the 14th artist. Luckily though I have plenty of pages in my book so I can write as much or as little as I please. I am disappointed to see that Edgar Degas is not one of the lucky 50 to be in the book. The book does include more recent artists from the 20th century as well as those who were born in the 15th century. I am dedicated with creating a solid reference book of people and things I should know or that I might need to know at some point. For example, I have heard that the Art History course at Purdue is challenging because it is a lot of memorizing artists and facts and such, so if I start learning now when I take the course I should have a solid base of knowledge to build upon. Besides, I love learning about art. I've loved going to art museums (museums in general really) ever since I was a little kid. I love looking at the artwork from different periods and knowing what sets them apart from the others. I love that feeling when I can easily recognize an artist's painting without being told who painted the piece. When I went to the Louvre in Paris I knew I'd never see everything I wanted to see. When I went there we only spent a few hours, not nearly enough in my eyes. I envy those who are able to take what they see or what they imagine and paint such clear pictures for others. I am not extremely artistic. I have my moments, but I am not talented in any one area. 

While I love paintings, I love sculptures even more. If I could have an extra dose of artiness I would want to be a sculptor. Not one of vases and abstract works but one of people, like Michelangelo. I want to capture the way the muscles are, movement, the air of reality captured in stone. However, I do no think anything I would create would even be in the same room as something by Michelangelo. I'm not saying I quit before even trying, but I do not foresee myself having enough time or money to be able to dabble in sculpting. But someday, even if it's when I'm old, I will try my hand at it and simply just enjoy it. 

When I am done going through reading, learning, and writing about all 50 artists I shall post about my favorite(s). As of now I can say I am only a Michelangelo fan, but the book only provides words and a few pictures. I might have to do further research on a few. I have already gone through a book solely on Monet and I have to say he is definitely in my top 5 if not then top 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment