My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chanel's Words

I have recently purchased a book that I've had my eye on for quite some time now. "The Gospel According to Coco Chanel," (the link takes you to Amazon to check the book out) by Karen Karbo, is very interesting and not what I thought it would be, but I really like the book. What Karbo does is divide the book into chapters, such as On Style, Money, Time, etc. and writes how Coco Chanel would view these things while adding in her (Karbo's) own ideas and stories. It's witty and humorous and I enjoy how she adds Madame Chanel's history and stories into the book, winding everything perfectly together. I'm not done with it yet, but I am almost done with chapter 9 out of 12 chapters. I've read a few books on Chanel, such as the fictitious (though does include real history of Chanel) novel "Coco, the Novel" by Patricia Soliman. That book is one reason why I became to admire Chanel, the book just creates this world around Coco Chanel that seems inviting and invigorating. I don't want to be Chanel, nor do I want the life she lived, but I do admire her a lot for the great qualities she possessed and I hope to someday make dramatic alterations in the fashion industry.   Once I set my heart on Chanel, nothing design wise has been the same for me in the sense that every now and then I find myself wondering "Would this work at Chanel? Should this be black instead of hot pink? There needs to be more pearls, more tweed, more structure, etc." I know I seem to post a lot about Chanel, but there's a lot to say about her, she was a woman who got what she wanted through hard work, determination, and being herself. But anyways, back to the book, if you want to know more about Chanel, or just how she would view certain topics, then I highly recommend this book. It's worded as if the author is actually speaking to you, she adds little foot notes, and it's filled with quotes and fun stories. It's not a dull book and it's worth every penny. I intend to check out other books by Karbo simply because I like the way she writes, also because she wrote a book about Katherine Hepburn, who is another fascinating woman. Hopefully I'll find more books at Half-Price Books, but until then I'll have to try and make it through the ones I currently have.

No comments:

Post a Comment