My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Good Books & A Classic Scent

If you're read my blog t any time in the past then you know I love Coco Chanel and really admire the work she did while she was alive as well as the legacy that is the House of Chanel. I own a handful of books on Chanel, ranging from how to construct a classic Chanel jacket the couture way to a fictional piece titled "Coco, the Novel" by Patricia Soliman. The two books pictured above are ones I think are worth sharing. A while ago I wrote about "The Gospel According to Chanel" but I wasn't quite done with it. To read more go to my article titled, Chanel's Words. Well I finished it and it's definitely a good read, worth your time. 

The other book, "Coco Chanel: An Intimate Life," by Lisa Chaney, is one I haven't finished yet. The book uncovers the truth about Chanel and how her life wasn't what you might think. On Amazon the book review states that, "Chaney's fascinating biography paints a more nuanced picture of Coco Chanel than any other so far. Movingly, it explores the origins, the creative power, and the secret suffering of this exceptional and often misunderstood woman." You can check the rest out here on Amazon.com. Basically, both books are worth it! 


Lastly, because it was such a good find, I'm going to point out the bottle of Chanel N5. I snagged this expensive perfume at a second hand shop near my house for $15. They keep the designer items behind the counter and I couldn't quite tell what it was from a distance but it looked really familiar and I asked the sales woman if I could see it and the price. For $15 it was a steal and while I had just spent more than I wanted on shoes I couldn't quite bring myself to spend more even though I knew it would be worth it. My grandma bought it for me as a gift and so far I've used it quite a lot. I loved the videos on the perfume and the smell is calming. It smells slightly like baby powder, but it lasts all day and I think it's different from the other perfumes I own (which is really just a variety of sprays from places like Bath & Body Works and VS). I'm pretty stoked about owning this perfume and it makes me feel great when I wear it. 


Basically, if you're not a Chanel fan, that's okay, to each their own. But if you are, check out the books and always keep your eyes peeled at second hand stores because you'll never know what you may find!

No comments:

Post a Comment