My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Total Look: 60 Stylish Sixties Fashions


Being in Cincinnati isn't as boring as it may sound. There's a lot to do, such as museums and galleries, fun restaurants, and more! Today I decided to go to the Cincinnati Art Museum and see the sixties fashion exhibit. It's titled "The Total Look" and it features fashion pieces by Rudi Gernreich. 
The View From Across the Museum.
I had written a piece on the exhibit for the website I write for, maghanitwork, but it hasn't been posted yet and since the exhibit ends soon I am unsure as to if it will be posted in time. So here is a tidbit from ym article: 

"Rudi Gernreich, most known for his visually striking minimalist garments, such as the topless bathing suit from 1964, used Peggy Moffitt as his muse and main model. Besides creating his psychedelic outfits, he also aimed to free women’s bodies by making the clothing less restrictive. The fashion exhibit will show off Gernreich’s famous “No-Bra Bra.” Along with the main mod outfits in the exhibit there are amazing photographs by William Claxton, who captured Gernreich’s work featured on Peggy Moffitt.  Lastly, the first ever fashion video, shown in 1967, will be showcased during the exhibit."

It was an amazing exhibit. I wish we were allowed to take photographs; I bought two postcards from the gift shop just to have something visual to hold on to.The outfits were colorful and fun and I loved how the exhibit illustrated the relationship between the three of them: Rudi Gernreich (designer), Peggy Moffitt (model), and her husband Willam Claxton (photographer). The video that played in a section of the exhibit was also a lot of fun to watch, I think it captured the way fashion was treated and viewed during that era perfectly. Overall I highly reccommend going to see it if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment