My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Making a ruff for The Fantasticks:


While my more historic ruff wasn't quite what the designer had in mind, she gave me a pattern for a children's clown costume to use as a reference.
First I cut the fabric into a long rectangle. I used the selvage as one of the edges and then roll hemmed the rest of the sides (3).


Then I sewed two rows of gathering stitches (stitch level 5) down the middle of the fabric. Short length wise it was about 11 inches, so I stitched on about 6'' & 6 1/4''. This was so when folded over the top ruffle would be shorter than the bottom.


Next I pulled the gathering stitches so that the ruff would fit into the collar I had made for the other ruff (basically a 21"x 2" rectangle). Then I stitched in between the gathering stitches connecting the ruffles to the collar. After that I tacked the top ruff to the collar by hand using thread that matched. 
Side note: The machine I was given came with 1 bobbin completely full of black thread so I couldn't really unwind it just to rewind it with the right color. It would've been a waste of thread & time.


Finally I gave the ruff a nice press and then lined up the snaps on either side of the collar and hand stitched them into place. 


Here's how the ruff turned out! I'm hoping to go see the show and snag a picture of the actor wearing it, we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment