My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Costume Shop Find: Vogue Fashions

While going through some boxes marked unsorted I found this Vogue Career Wardrobe patterns. It contains patterns for a blazer, top (zipper down the back), pants, skirt, and dress (zipper down back). It's also for sizes 18, 20, and 22 which is good because commercial patterns tend to be a little smaller than store bought clothing. I'm hoping to make either a pair of pants or the blazer using these patterns with some funky printed fabric. I'm also going to be going through all the patterns at some point to reorganize and categorize them properly. I might be able to find some other really cool ones. 

At school we make our own patterns, but I don't have the proper space in my apartment right now to do that, so while I won't be practicing making patterns, I will be keeping up with my sewing and construction. On top of that I can do alterations with the patterns and their sizes.  On that note, I may be doing alterations for one of the shows run by CUTC, "Guys & Dolls," which starts July 30th. I will find out next week in the costume shop. It helps when the designers get overwhelmed and really busy because it means I have more opportunities to gain experience in the field. I helped with finding some of the costume pieces for "The Fantasticks" in which my boss is the costume designer, and I got to make the ruff because she had other pieces that needed sewn and I had made something similar last fall. 

I'm definitely looking forward to redoing my resume and portfolio and including all of my various costume related experiences. If I do decide to go on to graduate school having these experiences illustrated will aid me in my application process. When I have the time I will be working on my portfolio, the sections will be fashion related writing, costume work, & apparel work. I think the variety will really help me stand out, it shows I have different interests and I can handle a lot on my plate. When I make some progress I'll post on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment