My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Summer Sewing

As of now my list of design projects to get done is ridiculously long. I have so much fabric I've bought or got for free that I feel like I should use a lot of it. I also want to make a few quality pieces for my application to London College of Fashion.
Here is a list of my projects:

  1. A shift dress using my black and white spiral fabric. After I sew it I want to practice doing some hand sewing by beading certain areas or embellishing the shoulders/pockets. We'll see what happens.
  2. My bustle skirt. I spent $90 on materials and I really want to make a bustle and bustle skirt. 
  3. I want to make my boyfriend nice dress pants. I'm unsure of the fabric as of now so I probably won't be starting off the summer with this one.
  4. A dress using my patterns from my elephant dress but using a really fun and brightly colored fabric. I love the shape of the dress and the fit so I just want to make it for myself. I'll probably start with this since I'll be using patterns.
  5. A dress for my friend Gabby who was my model this year. I told her I'd make her something so I thought I might find a nice fabric similar in weight and stretch to what I used for the show and make her the same dress minus the bottom of it.
  6. A Chanel-like cardigan  for myself. I have a red tweed-like fabric I got for free and I think it would look great as a cardigan.
  7. A men's suit jacket. I'll probably only make it out of muslin using my boyfriend's measurements, but I know I want to learn how to make one because in my senior collection I want to have a men's suit.
  8. I have to make the scarf for my grandmother and a scarf for my mother. These will be quick serger and sew around the edges types of scarves.
  9. I would love to make myself a few tops, such as tank tops but all different color blocking and patterns.
  10. Lastly, I want to make a black and white striped dress using a Vogue pattern I have for myself. It'll be lined and nicely constructed. I will be making adjustments to the pattern since I want to change a few features but I would love to definitely make this dress.
So as you can see I have a lengthy list of projects I would love to get done over the summer. I think between work, classes, and my writing internship, I'll have some time each week to work on this list. Hopefully Jessica will push me to make time, just like I'll be dragging her to the gym. That's what friends do, push you to get your goals accomplished. I'll most likely start with the projects I already have patterns for just to practice sewing techniques and using different machines. Stay tuned for pictures of finished projects, though it might be about 2 weeks since I'll be going home this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment