My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Bustle Project Plans

Last month I had written about how I was going to make a bustle skirt for my design class. Well after purchasing all of the materials and trying to start the project, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to finish it for the due date for class. Instead I made a simple circle skirt with some fun details. However, I want to share some inspiration and some sketches I've done for the project.

 To start off, I wanted to share a few pictures of my inspiration. I knew I wanted to do something red and black. I love these colors and I think the dark red color would look amazing in a floor length dress. I like the way the two dresses pictured above use draping and gathering to add depth to the dresses. I also love the pleating and little details given in the skirts of the dresses. I have to say a lot of my inspiration came from the red dress worn by Mina's character in the 1992 "Dracula" film.


This design is my rough draft for the back. I'm not great with drawing all of the draping and pleating so I make notes on the sides of my sketches. I know I wanted the pick up and draping, but I also know I want to play around with it before making final decisions. I also know I want some pleating on one of the sides. I'd love to show the black petticoat underneath but I'm unsure of how much. I also think I will do some detailing on the black skirt to keep it interesting and not just a plain boring petticoat. As of now I am just making the skirt but I think it would be neat to make a bodice to go with it with black lace in the back. I might also add black lace to the skirt but I really just want to get the skirt finished first.

Here are some ideas for my bustle for under the skirt. I bought embroidery hoops that are flexible but wooden to try and make my bustle out of but I might have to switch to something more durable and stronger. I am trying to make it as if it fasten in the front like a belt but so that is also comfortable for the wearer (me). It will definitely take me a couple of tries but I am determined to make this bustle skirt. Hopefully I will finish this over the summer and be able to use it for something, even if it's just having a fancy themed tea party with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment