My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Friday, November 20, 2015

Costumes: Bodice Details

For the costume shop I draped a bodice for a character in "As You Like It." So here's a little bit more on the process. I have previously written about my beginning with the bodice in "Costume Bodice Progress." I realize that was forever ago, so this one might be a little long and I'll try to break it up. 
Pictured left is after I had taken my patterns and cut them out of coutille. I laid those pieces onto my corduroy so that I could trace and cut the pieces out. After cutting out all of my pieces I was able to sew the pieces of taping to where I had marked it out on the coutille. After the boning taping was in place I then had to flat line them, as in sew all of the pieces together about 1/4" away from the sew line.
Next I would sew the center front to the side front pieces and the the back pieces to the side back pieces, leaving the side seams and center back untouched. Lastly I sewed the straps on and made sure all of my seams were pressed. I would hand baste the side seams together for the fitting so that if there needed to be changes it could be done easily and efficiently. I also put the boning in and hand stitched the bottoms shut, enclosing the boning. You can see the inside of the bodice to the right before the boning was placed in the bodice.


No comments:

Post a Comment