My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Friday, November 20, 2015

Costume: Bodice & Skirt





To finish the bodice I cut bias strips of a paisley type fabric and with cording made piping to go around the edges of the bodice. I then sewed the piping on and hand basted the unfinished side to the bodice. 

Skirt wise I had done the math to find the number of pleats necessary and such for her waist measurement. After marking the corduroy I pinned it all and then sewed the pleats. I then sewed on a grograin ribbon waistband and it was ready for the fitting with the actress.

In the fitting we found out the designer wanted a higher and more cinched in waist, which resulted in me taking in the back of the bodice quite a bit and also moving where the snaps would go on the skirt for closures. I also marked the hem line for the skirt. 
After the fitting I was able to take in the bodice, finish all of the work on the bodice, mark and cut the skirt hem, use the blind hemmer on the skirt, and then put hook and bar taping in the back of the bodice. One of the last steps was cross stitching the skirt and bodice together so that it would be a dress. 
I will be attending the play this weekend and I am looking forward to seeing the costume in action. I had made the petticoat last year in my internship, I made the hip pad for her, and I made the dress from "scratch." I draped, patterned, cut fabric, and sewed all of the pieces together. I even used the grinder in the scene shop to grind down the boning for the bodice. This costume was essentially all done by me (minus the design of course but this was for work int he shop).
Overall I love it and I am just looking forward to seeing the show and seeing her in full character! Hopefully I'll get some good pictures to share and to use in my portfolio!

No comments:

Post a Comment