My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Bustling Bustle Blueprint

So after creating a very simplistic top for my pattern making class I decided I wanted a challenge for the skirt project. After joking around with my friend it was decided she was making a hoop skirt and I would make a bustle skirt. Why? I don't know what I have done with my life, this project is already too expensive and too time consuming and I actually haven't made anything yet. I did some sketches and created plans for the bustle part. I tried several different ways to make the bustle part but then had to go to class so I'll start fresh on Monday.

After my sketches were checked I purchased fabric, which was way more than I anticipated. I bought 6 yards of red satin and 5 and 3/8 yards of black taffeta. Besides fabric I bought embroidery hoops to try and work on the bustle. I thought I could create a bustle using the wooden hoops and an elastic waistband that fastens in the front using hooks/eyes or corset like lacing. I'm hoping I can start working and finish the bustle part on Monday and then during class on Tuesday I can start draping the taffeta part of the skirt. I was planning on making 2 different skirts: the black taffeta (almost like a petticoat type under skirt) and then the red satin on top being draped and pleated and more. But, my professor suggested I make it into 1 skirt and the waistband would be more sturdy and it would keep the skirt from shifting side to side.

So stay tuned for more information and eventually pictures of my methods. I'm hoping to be done in the next couple of weeks, but with work and school that may be a little difficult. But I'm hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment