My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

More on the Books

As I've said in my last post about books, I plan on telling you a little about the books I chose to bring with me. At first, looking upon my giant stack of options, I had decided to just not bring any back with me to Purdue from spring break. But then, as I was packing last minute, I just knew I needed something. I chose 3 books from the pile and put them in my tote bag. 

Book #1:
Title: "The End of Fashion: How Marketing Changed the Clothing Business Forever"
Author: Teri Agins
Why I chose it: My grandmother gave me this book for Christmas and has talked to me several times about it, and after her talking to me about some other book and then one of my professors discussing said book, I decided I should finally try to read it. I'm also very intrigued by the description of the book.
A little snip it from the book: "It seemed tedious that six people would spend a good half hour dickering over the color of a label that would be hidden inside a suit jacket. But for a fashion image-maker like Hilfiger, the color of the label is a key marketing tool- and just as important as the way the suits looked" (Agins, 110).


Book #2
Title: "What on Earth Are You Wearing? An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fashion"
Author: Chloe Quigley and Daniel Pollock
Illustrations: Kat Macleod
Why I chose it: One of my best friends gave this to me after we graduated high school and it's such a funny and witty book. Plus, the illustrations are inspiring for designs and everything just looks great!
A little snip it from the book: "Keyhole Neckline: A shaped hole at the front of garment. You can't get in or out even with a key. Like a chastity belt for your boobs. Sort of. Not really" (Pollock, 68).





Book #3
Title: "Sleeping with the Enemy: Coco Chanel's Secret War"
Author: Hal Vaughan
Why I chose it: Chanel. I can always read more about Coco Chanel, simple as that.
A little snip it from the book: "In the end, Chanel saw herself as too refined for the studio glitter of Hollywood, the lavish facades, the tastes of the moguls and their coteries of actors and actresses, and the clash of egos among the silver-screen divas" (Vaughan, 68).

No comments:

Post a Comment