My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Mad Hatter: My Second Hat

Head piece and feathers.
For my second hat I chose to make a head piece. I bought a head piece, 2 ostrich feathers, black veiling, red swarovski crystals, black textured fabric, red dye, and a headband. First I sewed the fabric on to the head piece, one piece at a time following the curves of the piece. Then I dyed my feathers red, steamed & curled them, and finally sewed them onto the side of the head piece. 
Added the crystals.
Outside of class I glued the crystals on to the veiling. I did about half a meter of veiling with crystals. Then I needed to put holes into the head band and sew the head piece on to the headband. After that I bound one side of the veiling- I had decided to lay a piece without crystals over top of the piece with crystals- using thread and glue. Then I attached it to the inside of the head piece where the feathers were (on the outside). Next I needed my professor's help to figure out the right lay and pin the other side as well as the top of the veiling. Then I tack stitched where the pins were and I was done. 


Sewing on the textured fabric.


Inside view.


Final look.
It all seems so easy from the amount of steps, but it took a lot of hard work and effort. I'm pleased with the results, it's not quite what I had in mind originally but I still like it.
They will both most likely be in my collection next year, or even just at my senior table in the art gallery. We shall see when I figure out my designs for the runway! I definitely want to continue to make hats though, I think it's a lot of fun, albeit expensive, but fun!
Final 2 Hats.


Side view of top hat with head piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment