My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Gender Bending and Androgynous Dress

For my Theoretical and Contemporary Fashion Studies class I am doing my final paper on Gender Bending and Androgynous Dress on the cover of magazines being a good movement for the fashion industry. I spent many hours researching the topic and in the end I had about 14 books that I had notes from and could potentially use for my paper. We needed at least 10 quotes, 5 direct and 5 indirect, as well as a minimum of 5 sources, 3 coming from the list of recommended books. In the end I had 8 resources and 13 quotes. 
I've decided to include the introduction of my paper to just give a little taste of what my paper was about.

Check it out below:

Fashion, Gender, and the Body: Gender Bending and Androgyny on the cover of Magazines is a Positive Move
By Brianna Malotke

In The Face of Fashion, Jennifer Clark states that “the model constitutes the technical body of western consumer culture” (Craik, 1994). With this in mind magazines across the world should be more conscious of their model choices and the impact that those choices have on the consumers and viewers of their magazines. Diversification, through the use of gender bending and androgynous dress on the cover of magazines, is a good movement for the fashion industry. It will elaborate on the diversity in the world and allow magazines to expand the reach of their target markets by redeveloping their main demographics. In fashion there is a tension between the desire to fit in and stand out that can be further explained by Joanne Entwistle in The Fashioned Body. Entwistle writes that y expressing “the contradictory desires to fit in and stand out: ‘fashion is the imitation of a given example and satisfies the demand for social adaption…at the same time it satisfies in no less degree the need of differentiation, the tendency towards dissimilarity, the desire for constant change and contrast’ (Simmel 1971: 296)” (Entwistle, 2000). With all this in mind it’s important for magazines to take who they put on their covers as a serious issue and use it to their advantage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment