My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Update on my Evening Dress

The dress laying on the chiffon.
So I have been working on my dress for the spring fashion show and with a million ideas running through my head I couldn't quite decide on what bottom I wanted to create for the dress.

After just messing around with the ribbon and fabric I decided on a path I wanted to take with the dress.

I started out by cutting strips of ribbon and then squares of the chiffon and then the fabric that the dress is made of as well. Next I pinned the squares to the ribbon and then the ribbon to the dress. At first I had wanted all chiffon, but then I started adding some of the other fabric and it added a little something extra that made the bottom look different and really neat. I like the way the fabric curls and lays. Hopefully it will have nice movement when my model wears the dress. I am looking forward to my fitting with her because I am sort of at a stand still right now. I can sew the squares onto the ribbon, but I might need to take in the actual dress a little bit as well as under stitch the neck, arm holes, and back V-neck. Since the dress is lined I need to seam rip the hem and finish everything before I can sew the ribbon on when I finish the final hem. I have yet to make final decisions on the back design of the dress but for now I'm going to leave it as a long, exposed V-neck.

Here are some of the pictures I took as I was working on the bottom of the dress:

Pining the ribbons.

Swapping out the plan ribbons for chiffon covered ribbons.

One side of the bottom all pinned and waiting to be sewn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment