My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Adding Patterns!

Cutting triangles.
My denim jacket has 1 patch and a little extra stitching around it, but since I don't have any other patches at the moment, I decided to add something else to it. Being me I thought a little bit of a pattern would make this denim jacket really stand out. I went through my scrap bin to see if I had any that would work for the under collar of the jacket. Of course the piece that ended up working is a piece from my Senior Collection. The red, black, and white plaid fabric has the perfect amount of stretch to work with the denim (72% Cotton and 18% Polyester). Being me I didn't measure anything out, I just lined up the selvage with the collar, pinned it, and sewed along from the inside of the jacket. 

Pinning the remaining 3 edges.
After attaching the plaid to the jacket I cut a few triangles to give the fabric ease along the neckline. Adding an under collar to an already made piece isn't as easy as doing it in the proper order while making a jacket. Next I pinned the plaid to the collar so I could hand stitch it around the 3 edges. Surprisingly it didn't take very long and it turned out pretty well. You can't see the plaid unless the collar is up or turned wrong but I know it's there and I think it's a pretty great detail to my jacket. 
Finished Collar.

I'm considering adding a different plaid (because I have SO MUCH SCRAP FABRIC) to the cuffs so if I roll the sleeves up and button them you'll get some more pattern and color. Overall I'm pretty happy with the progress of my jacket. Hopefully I'll get some more patches within the next couple of weeks and i can continue adding to the jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment