My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Turning Leggings Into Thigh Highs

Earlier this week in the costume shop I got tasked with the project of turning leggings into thigh highs for an actress that will be wearing a pregnancy pad attached to a leotard (it's pretty cool!).

I started off marking and cutting the waist portion off so that I had just the 2 legs. Then I practiced a few ways to serge the end and we decided to serge elastic to the edge of the leg hole. But first I needed to take the actress’s measurements, cut the elastic, and sew it together (with an inch overlap) so that it was a circle and could be sewn onto the opening of the leg hole. Then I divided the elastic and the leg hole into fourths and marked it. 

Next I pinned the elastic to the fourths and serged them together. Finally I folded the elastic on the inside and sewed around the bottom, attaching it to the legging again. The bottom two pictures show the inside (L) and the outside (R) of the finished product.



No comments:

Post a Comment