My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Friday, September 4, 2015

Adding a Ruffle to a Petticoat


















For my second task in the costume shop I got to make a ruffle for a petticoat that goes with the corset I had previously worked on. To start off I sewed 9 panels together, pressed the seams open, and then I serged both sides (think of a very long rectangle). Then I ironed both sides up and stitched them down. Next I stitched 2 rows of gathering stitches down one side (but only one panel at a time). After this I went to the petticoat itself and marked a line 8 & 1/2" up from the bottom. Next I divided the petticoat in fourths and marked it, as well as the ruffle. Then slowly but surely I gathered and pinned the ruffle to the petticoat, one fourth at a time, to the line I had marked. Finally I got to sew the ruffle onto the petticoat in between the gathering stitches. After attaching the ruffle I started in on the alterations to the waistband.

















No comments:

Post a Comment