My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Friday, February 10, 2012

A Doll

Almost every little girl has been the proud owner of a Barbie doll. The Barbie doll was thought up by Ruth Handler and introduced in 1959 by Mattel at the New York Toy Fair.

Barbie has held basically every job, from ballerina to president to astronaut to doctor. She's had her wardrobe designed by famous designers such as Vera Wang, Bob Mackie, and Dior. She's probably the woman with the most shoes, clothes, and purses. Barbie has been around for over 50 years and is still as popular as ever for little girls as well as adult collectors. As told in the Barbie All Dolled Up, "Because it's not merely about playing with a toy; it's about acting out dreams. Barbie memories are always about more than a doll; they are the first experiences with fashion, the eye-opening possibilities of role-play, and the delight of imagining one's grown-up self." 

Well, I'm a Barbie collector; I have been since I was little. I would get a Barbie and instead of opening it, I would decide to leave the doll in its box unopened. My collection varies from the Holiday Barbie to Princesses to just cool pop culture dolls such as Barbie Loves Woody from Toy Story 3. One collection that I have completed is the Landmarks Collection. I bought the Statue of Liberty Barbie on Liberty Island in New York. I then received the Eiffel Tower Barbie, Sydney Opera House Barbie and Big Ben Barbie as gifts for Christmas. I’ve been to London and saw Big Ben, I’ve been to France and ate dinner on the second level of the Eiffel Tower, and I’ve taken a tour of the Sydney Opera House. These dolls are souvenirs with wonderful memories connected to them.

I know that I want to go into Fashion as a career, and I think it would just be amazing to design a Barbie doll. I think it would be nifty to design for Barbie and when you saw the doll point to it and say to the lady next to you, "I designed that outfit."

No comments:

Post a Comment