My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Museums for Days

The V&A
I have always been a fan of going to museums; I especially love art museums or any exhibit that has an interactive aspect to it (think games or things you’re actually allowed to touch!). One of my classes here at LCF meets at a different gallery or museum each week for two hours. It’s not really enough time to see everything but it’s a good glimpse into each place.

Guy Bourdin 
Outside of class I have gone out on my own to different museums to see various exhibits. So far I've gone to the Royal Academy of Arts to see a Moroni exhibit, an Allen Jones one, the Gothic by Charles Stewart, Still Life by Hiroshi Sugimoto, and the Reubens Legacy exhibit. At the British Library I saw the Terror & Wonder: The Gothic Imagination; so far this has been my favorite. It featured everything from Walpole to Dracula to a McQueen dress. I went to the Fashion & Textile Museum to see the Knitwear: Chanel to Westwood exhibit featuring knitwear from essentially the last 100 years. Then for class I had to go to the Museum of London as preparation for another class lecture. I've gone through the Don’t Stop Now: Fashion Photography Next Part 1 at one of my school’s buildings and I've stayed after my class at the V&A to see the Wedding Dresses from 1775-2014 exhibit. The dress exhibit was so beautiful and really had a wide variety represented. I bought a book so that I could have a little more information about it all.

Degas piece at the Courtauld Gallery
This past Thursday I went to the Somerset House and saw the Guy Bourdin: Image Maker exhibit, very colorful and different. While I was there I also got to see the Chris Stein/Negative: Me, Blondie, and the Advent of Punk exhibit which was all huge photographs by Stein. Then, using my Art Pass, I got in for free at the Courtauld Gallery and explored their different floors and spaces. They had a little bit of everything, including a few works by Degas which I absolutely loved. I didn't see everything because I had to go somewhere else but since I can get in for free I plan on going back more, especially to sit and sketch different pieces. Lastly, today I went to the National Gallery to explore and wander. I saw the little exhibit on Peder Blake and then went off into various rooms. They had some blocked off, but I intend on returning to see more and to just spend more time in each room. It was very crowded so I might go back at a random time during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment