My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

What Does A First Hand Do?

The real question is what doesn't a first hand do?
So far with my experience at the Opera Theatre of St. Louis I've learned a tremendous amount and I think I now know what the role of a first hand is in the shop setting. It's a little bit of everything. I do some small patterning (for example cape hoods), a lot of cutting out fabric, I do hand sewing, sew garments together, do alterations, help in fittings, keep everything organized and make sure it's all labeled, and there's a lot more. It's hard to narrow it all down but it really is a little bit of everything- whatever the team needs done.
I'm enjoying my time here with OTSL. It's very fast paced, you're always working, and the people are fun. I'm still leaning towards becoming a costume designer (ideal goal is costume design for movies or TV) but working on operas is pretty wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment