My online portfolio: Malotke Designs.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Opera Theatre of St. Louis: Being a First Hand

I've finished my second day as a first hand for the Opera Theatre of St. Louis. It's been pretty great and very busy! For my first day we had orientation and then I spent the next few hours working with my draper at collecting fabrics and getting information on different pieces. I patterned a cloak piece and then cut out 3 of them! Two of the cloaks needed extra pieces so I cut those as well. I did manage to get a hood cut out as well using an already constructed hood as a pattern. For today I managed to get the other cloaks' hood cut out and even the 4th cloak's hood cut out after we washed and dried the fabric (it had majorly shrunk).

Working on Macbeth.
I also pressed and rolled a lot of fabric today since my draper didn't have more patterned. I did mark and cut out a tunic for Macbeth. I also helped cut some other fabric to get ready for our last cloak. We had meetings after lunch so I didn't have a full day's work. I did hand sew some tags in one of the cloaks that have an unattached hood. It was how I spent my last 10ish minutes at work. 

Overall I'm really enjoying working as a First Hand. I don't think I would enjoy being a costume technician as a full time career, but this is pretty exciting and I like working on multiple productions at once. It's fun and keeps things going. I'm excited to participate in the apprenticeship program here as well. It'll be a very busy 2 months and I'm really glad I have this opportunity in my life. It's just a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment